Student Leaders Shine Backstage

Student Leaders Shine Backstage

As you watch a children’s bedroom magically transform into a beautiful night sky you are whisked away to a magical land known as Neverland with mermaid coves, Indian camps, pirate ships and pixie dust. Moving through the different places is an adventure within itself. Have you wondered how the audience travels through along with Peter Pan and the Darlings? They travel not only the magic of the performance, but the leadership behind the scenes. Parent volunteers and multiple adults always lend a helping hand when the play comes around, but middle school students become leaders in the process as well. Two leaders of the group are from our own 8th grade class. These students are Mary Callanan, Stage Manager, and Declan Byrne, Assistant Director. Both dedicated students worked hard and kept cast and crew together along with the adults and were a part of every rehearsal. Mary’s job was to be Stage Manager which is like the leader of the crew backstage.

During rehearsals Mary was in charge of anything happening backstage while Karl, the director, was working with the actors. During the real performance it was her responsibility to see that all props came on properly and crew members were in the right place. Mary says,”My favorite part about being stage manager was controlling everything backstage. I liked knowing which set pieces were coming off in the next scene and when to part the curtain for actors coming off. It also felt like I was more of a part in the show.”

Declan was the Assistant Director who helped alongside of Karl with many things. Declan had jobs like roll call, making sure everyone was present, taking any notes Karl had about the performance or script and making sure everything was in order. He sat with Karl every day and was ready to work. He had a binder with the entire script where he took notes and organized Karl’s ideas. He helped Mary keep track of the crew in order to make everything run smooth. He tells me, “I also really liked having a bigger role in putting the play together.”

Both Mary and Declan had a great time leading the production and being a part of it with their classmates. They encourage the students to try out for the play because it’s so fun and worth the time. Mary says, “It was really fun. Even though it was a lot of work, the feeling you get when everything runs smoothly is great. It is also a good way to connect with students from other grades. Also, some people think crew isn’t very important, but really, the crew’s job is just as important as an actor’s. If there was no crew, there wouldn’t be any curtain opening, no lights, and no set changes, which would not make for a very good show. Despite what people say, crew is a great experience.” They are both proud of how it turned out and Declan thought that the show was fun and he really enjoyed it. He also let me know that he enjoyed all of the free snacks he got as being a part of the process.

When you look up on that stage the next time to see the show, realize how much hard work and dedication went into it, all the while being fun. If you’re a student here at St. Robert don’t forget about the magic that happens on stage and offstage when a show is being performed. When you are in the middle school consider the option of either on or offstage and don’t forget how much fun our own student leaders had.