Cast in the Shadows: Dominican High School

High school is a big decision for 8th grade and there are so many choices. Middle school is preparing for high school, no matter where we go. The homework gets harder and the deadlines come sooner, but it’s all in preparation. Most high schools have days set aside so that kids in middle school can visit their school. The student is “cast in the shadow” of a student from the school and follows them through the day to get a sense of how a normal school day goes. Normally 8th grade is when shadowing becomes a popular thing to do and some of the 8th graders this year have already done a bit of shadowing. One of the schools where a few students have shadowed is Dominican High School. An 8th grader who experienced this head on was Kate F. Kate explained to me how the day of her shadow went along.

At Dominican, school starts at 8:00 so when you are shadowing you do the same.

“When I arrived, I went to the board room and I was assigned the person I shadowed, Anne L [a graduate of St. Robert School]. Anne and I then made a quick stop at her locker before going to our first class,” Kate explained.

Everyone’s shadow experience is different whether it be by person, class, teacher, or school. Prior to shadowing a student you may request someone certain to shadow if you know someone or are related to anyone attending. You follow this person all day through their classes to get a natural feel of how a class day may go if you attend this school. Teachers act as if it were a normal day and teach a normal lesson which makes the day more natural. This goes the same for all the other students who don’t have a shadow following them, they act as though you are in their class with them. Kate told me that when you enter the class with your host they introduce you to the class.

“For me Anne told the class my name and how I like reading, writing and baking.”

After this introduction they resume with the class and then everyone knows a little bit about a prospective student. It is good for the shadow to be introduced because if they do end up going to the school then their upperclassmen will know a small bit about them and maybe get to know them. Not only can the upperclassmen know Kate, but this also means that if and when Kate attends Dominican she will know a few people already which will help her make friends.

Kate says, “The whole day was fun because I met a lot of new people, most of which I don’t remember their names. I also liked a lot of the teachers and how some of their teaching methods are different from teachers at St. Robert teaching methods.

I liked how nice people were to me even though I’m an 8th grader and a shadow. I was called “Joe’s sister” and “shadow” a lot but not as insults. The people were generally kind.”

Shadowing is a good experience to find the right school because instead of the faculty and students trying to sell the school to you and being on their best behavior, you are “on the inside” blending in. As you blend in you get to see the normal day in the life of high school students and faculty. This is good because soon you will be spending plenty of these “normal days” yourself wherever you may go to school, with someone possibly shadowing you.