White and Blue Press

Deal or No Deal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Deal or No Deal

Naod F., Editor-in-Chief

While Black Friday has been the day for people to go and get the best in-store deals, Cyber Monday has been on the rise since 2005 when the term was first coined, and Cyber Monday now has surpassed Black Friday according to the amount of money it rakes in (McGrath). In 2017 alone, Cyber Monday made $6.6 billion, and Black Friday earned only $5 billion (Amadeo).

Cyber Monday has gained popularity due to the heavy integration of technology into our daily lives, and people have been going to the stores less and less. This is mainly because people want to be able to spend their money on deals without having to leave the comfort of their home. However, not all people like buying their items online even if there are great deals. Some people don’t like buying online in general because they don’t want to pay the extra shipping charges, don’t appreciate the inability see or handle the product before buying it, or just don’t like the wait that comes with shipping.

In addition to some consumers not being a fan of Cyber Monday, many retail stores dislike Cyber Monday because the physical store don’t make as much money since people are buying online. Throughout 2018, retailers have been filing for bankruptcy at record highs: most notably, Toys R Us. Additionally, because Cyber Monday is taking over the market, many more retailers will close down, and the “former J.C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman said that only 25 percent of America’s 1,200 shopping malls will survive over the next five years” (Amadeo). While these retailers have struggled to compete with online shopping, online sites like Amazon have taken advantage of this giant market, and it has shown because Amazon is the biggest shopping site for Cyber Monday.

Personally, I did not participate in Cyber Monday this year, nor did I participate in previous years, but I have seen the great deals people can get. Cyber Monday is one of the best ways for you and others to buy what you want at lower prices. Also, this is a great time to buy Christmas presents for others instead of waiting for the last second and not having as many deals. However, not all people are on the Cyber Monday bandwagon because of some of the negative implications it brings along with it. Although Cyber Monday has come and gone this year, just wait for next year when it comes around again on December 2nd 2019.

References

Amadeo, Kimberly. “Cyber Monday, When It Starts, and Current Trends.” The Balance, Dotdash, 15 June 2018, www.thebalance.com/cyber-monday-what-it-is-when-it-starts-and-current-trends-3305715.McGrath, Kristin.

“What is Cyber Monday? History and Statistics.” Black Friday, Ziff Davis, LLC, 29 August 2018, blackfriday.com/news/cyber-monday-statistics-and-history.

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Deal or No Deal”

1. Nathan on November 30th, 2018 10:15 am

I agree cyber monday is stopping stores from having real customers.

2. Connor on November 30th, 2018 10:17 am

Naod I love your thoughts about this article! I love this day as much as much as black Friday, if not more! I even got a new pair of sneakers from it. All in all, great job on the articles love to here more!

3. Jonah on November 30th, 2018 10:19 am

thank you for the info I never knew that cyber mon was making more money than black fri

4. Helen on November 30th, 2018 10:22 am

This article is really cool to read. It’s very interesting to learn about how online shopping is taking over and the effects of it.

5. Kacey on November 30th, 2018 10:24 am

I like Cyber Monday because maybe if you missed Black Friday, you can get another chance to get some great deals.

6. Evie on November 30th, 2018 10:27 am

This article was very well thought out and it had lots of evidence on how Cyber Monday is more popular than Black Friday. Great article!

7. Maddie on November 30th, 2018 10:28 am

I had never heard of Cyber Monday until about a week ago. This article gave me a lot of new information about it. You did a great job Naod!

8. Grace on November 30th, 2018 10:28 am

I think that Cyber Monday is unique, for it follows off Black Friday and you don’t have to deal with all the chaos.

9. alexander on December 3rd, 2018 2:11 pm

i think Cyber Monday is simply copying Black Friday

10. waverly on December 3rd, 2018 2:12 pm

I like shopping at the store better then on line.

11. Delcan on December 3rd, 2018 2:15 pm

I personally did participate in cyber Monday, but now that you explained it to me in a different way, I agree.

12. Sam on December 4th, 2018 8:43 am

Did you just copy Howie Mandel’s game show title? Either way, good job man.

13. Christina on December 4th, 2018 8:44 am

Nice article. I didn’t really know what Cyber Monday was, but you explained it in a good way.

14. Matt H. on December 4th, 2018 3:01 pm

Great Article! I always thought that Cyber Monday had better deals on Amazon and the PlayStation Store. I think that since black Friday receives more hype they could at least make some better deals.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Brewers Postseason: Past, Present, and Future

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

A Fresh Start: Middle School

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

He Shoots, He Scores!

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Landscaping Heroes

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Celebrating the Many Cultures of Our World

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Churro Sale 2018

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

A Snapshot of 2017

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Getting Festive This Christmas

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Sales Galore!

• Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Corner Bakery Cafe

The student news site of St. Robert School
Deal or No Deal