Saint Role Models At St. Robert School

Role models have proven to be important in the lives of children and teens.  The primary role models in the lives of students are their parents and teachers (1).  Therefore, it is very important for parents and teachers to be aware of their influence on children and teens.  Qualities children inadvertently search for in individuals include being a good listener, giving advice, encouragement, and assurance (2).  These attributes can be found in parents and teachers, but also in other figures such as babysitters, peers, relatives, and celebrities.  Every child needs a different example.

As a Catholic community, we hope to add canonized Saints to the list of role models for our students.  We hope that Saints’ demonstrations of fierce faith, endurance of persecution, and long-lasting legacy will resonate with the kindergarteners and all other students and continue to stick with them forever.  St. Robert School has always been taking advantage of opportunities to familiarize students with Saints, learning about them in religion class and in church, and participating in the All-Saints report project in second grade.  This year, the eighth grade has been additionally informing the school with weekly Saint biographies on the morning announcements.  But there is no guarantee that these practices will truly influence students to grow deeper and more confident in faith.  They must figure out how they can individually connect with Saints on their own terms, even if the children are not looking at the leaders as role models.

At St. Robert, one way that students have taken to doing this is by wearing tokens of saints, specifically St. Christopher medallions.  These items are usually metal or colored discs that are commonly worn as necklaces.  Many students receive these as first Eucharist gifts, and they continue to wear them throughout the school years to come.  But why St. Christopher on a medal?

St. Christopher is the patron of transportation and traveling.  He is pictured with a staff on the medallions to symbolize this patronage.  The medallions are worn around the neck to keep St. Christopher with the student always and to guide and protect them as they travel throughout the day, and symbolically through life.  The medals say “St. Christopher protect us,” and they serve as little reminders of the little connections that students make to saints every day.  Sometimes just knowing that God’s presence is with them is enough for students.

Although it may seem difficult for Catholic schools to force students’ faith and connections to saints and God, finding a small token that reminds children daily of their devotion to God and his protection of them is a way to do this.  The St. Christopher medals that several St. Robert students wear throughout the year display how much the Catholic teachings can influence them to individually find peace and love within their hearts.

1. “Children and Role Models.” Children and Role Models. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Oct. 2014.

http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Children_and_Role_Models_99.aspx

2. “Importance of Positive Adult Role Models.” Virtual Learning Connections. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2014.

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/blog/posts/2011-12-19/Importance-of-Positive-Adult-Role-Models.aspx