Minikani: Let the Fun Times Roll

Reed, Off Campus News Editor

Many students at St. Robert go to a camp called Camp Minikani each summer. Camp is an experience that changes those lucky enough to attend. People keep returning to Minikani because there they can foster new friendships, learn life skills, and try new things.

Camp is an ideal place to make friends. 7th grader Honor, who went to camp this year said, β€œAll the campers at camp were some of the nicest people I’ve met. My cabin-mates each had a different, unique personality that made our cabin even better.” Additionally, David, another camper from the 7th grade, said that he had made new friends, too. If eight or nine people are stuck in a room together for one or two weeks, they are bound to grow to love or hate each other. There is a good chance that campers will make new friends, if not life long pals. Another way camp can help one make friends is through the many activities offered. Campers choose to participate in activities that interest them personally. Therefore, one can meet like minded people from different cabins during these activities. No matter how it happens, friendships are an inevitability of Camp Minikani.

Beyond forging new relationships, camp is great because participants can learn life skills. At camp there is a wide range skills to learn. These skills are divided up into six sections: Wilderness Survival, Waterfront, Crafts, Gun & Run, Coral, and Adventure Challenge. Each of these categories teaches campers many skills. Some of these skills are practical, like how to build a fire. Other skills are simply fun, like hardcore parkour in which campers practice agility. Person skills include learning how to respect others or learning to be supportive. Skills are the most exciting and beneficial part of the camp experience. There is always something to learn at Camp Minikani regardless of the campers’ individual interests.

With all of these skill sections to choose from, it is clear to see that campers are encouraged each day to try new things. As previously explained, at camp, kids are given a choice of what to do.

In addition to choosing skills sections, each day campers have a whole hour to do what they want, whether that would be playing soccer, learning to boat with a Leader in Training, or playing GaGa ball. Also, there is always something new and different to eat, so one is constantly wondering what is on the menu. Selections include Β ribs, burgers, sloppy joes, and grilled chicken. Plus, if a camper doesn’t like what is being served, there is always a salad bar with fruit, crackers, Jell-O, hummus, and, of course, salad. However, Β cabin-mates and counselors encourage each other to try new things; they never force anyone to do something they do not want to do. Minikani gives the opportunity to try new things, knowing that no one will judge.

As one can see, Camp Minikani has a lot to offer like new friendships, learning life skills, and the ability to try new things. Camp is an essential part of many students’ summer. Hopefully, the legacy of the camp will continue for many years.