They Represent You!

Noel, Saints and Leaders

There are many rules governing the students at St. Robert’s School. Many. Amid the rules functioning as guidelines for behavior and character,  the students need someone to represent them and to be their voice. That is where the Student Leadership Council comes in.

The Student Leadership Council is comprised of four representatives from each of the middle school grades: 6th, 7th, and 8th. Five co-chair persons from the 7th and 8th grade classes lead the group of 12 representatives. The council is to be the voice for the school and aims to represent all of the needs and desires of the children who attend St. Robert. For many years the council has implemented fundraisers to raise money for change and service. They listen to what the students want, and propose those wants to the teachers and leaders of the school. Without Student Leadership Council, St. Robert would not be the vibrant, active, and well-supported community that it is. The student body enjoys the fundraisers put on by the council and respects what the “SLC” stands for.

Although this council is primarily run and composed of students who attend the school, there are three teachers who help support and organize the council. These teachers are Madame Moriarity, Mr. Kierzek, and Ms. Mathews. The teachers attend each meeting and help advance ideas, allowing them to come to fruition. Madame Moriarity has been involved with the SLC since she began teaching at St. Robert. She exudes a positive outlook on this year’s staff:  “I am enthusiastic about the new ideas they will bring to life for our school community because it is refreshing to see the collaboration between old and new members.” Madame also said that even though the years go on and the staff changes, “The goals remain the same. We like to bring a positive environment to school to make the school the best it can be. Although the goals stay the same, getting there is always different.”

Two integral members of this influential staff are 8th grade class representative, Anna, and co-chair, Christie. Both of these students have past experience serving on the council and are heavily involved in the school community. When considering motivation to join the SLC, Anna claimed,  “ I wanted to be in SLC because it is a way that I can help my community in fun and effective ways. Also, in doing good for my community, I can feel good and that’s something that definitely makes SLC worth my time!”  Christie went on to explain the progress made thus far, stating, “The staff is very fun and energetic. We’ve been a little slow to come up with new projects for the school, but we have a lot of potential, and the creativity of individuals is starting to show through more and more as the year goes on. “ This is a great report to hear, especially from one of the main and experienced leaders in the council!

The Student Leadership Council is a very important and necessary part of St. Robert’s School; the council helps change and make rules better, creates and pursues fundraisers, and remains a supportive cast for students at St. Robert. The council and members of the community are very optimistic about the things the SLC will do and the difference they will make for our school this year.