Summer Swag: Fun in the Milwaukee Sun

Maggie, Guest Writer

The all too familiar feeling comes over kids as they look out their bedroom window. They start to twitch, and then they lower their eyebrows into a sinister stare and without warning, let out a long, painful moan: boredom. There is no school to keep them busy with work, summer is here, and they are… bored. Everyone has been bored before, so here are some great things to do this upcoming summer when boredom hits. Plus, all of these ideas are in Milwaukee!

One fun thing to bust the boredom is to go swimming or to a park! Being next to one of the Great Lakes is great because this brings about many sandy beaches and cool waters. Natalie, a sixth grader, claims that her favorite thing to do at the beach in the summer is to play in the sand. Even the simple things, like making sand castles or burying people in sand, can fill one up with enjoyment. Swimming in the water is also so much fun. Is it a hot day? Then put on a swimsuit, and jump in the water! Cool down with a relaxing swim, or play fun pool games like Marco Polo or Chicken with friends and family. However, sometimes the beach can be crowded or dirty, and that’s why Milwaukee also has many great pools to offer! One great pool to go to is Fox Point Pool. Here, they offer great swimming space and even a diving board! It is a great spot to have a good swim followed by a rest in a lounge chair. While being in the water may be some people’s home for summertime, there are also lots of public parks in Milwaukee that offer fantastic opportunities to go outside. One great park in Milwaukee is the famous Lake Park. As maybe the most well-known park in Milwaukee, Lake Park has much to offer from hiking and biking trails to  playgrounds and tennis lessons! Lake Park hiking trails are absolutely beautiful in the summer with all of the trees and flowers in bloom and small critters like bunnies and chipmunks running around. Also, the playground there is wonderful! It has many twisty slides, ladders, monkey bars, and more spinning equipment. It’s not just fun for little kids because the playground has so many things that make older kids throw their heads back and laugh. Even better, the park started tennis lessons for  youth last year and they are doing it this year, too. Learning tennis is a great skill, and now every child in Milwaukee has the opportunity to learn tennis in this educational and fun class!

Sadly though, the weather won’t always be hot and dry; it can rain. When the rain comes, that boredom will be back. That’s why there is lots of fun stuff to do inside, too! Even going inside to spend a cozy day watching movies and playing board games can get one’s mind off the bad weather brewing  outside. A happy, cheerful Disney or Pixar movie is great for what Mrs. Beckman calls, “Making our own sunshine.” If Disney is a little too sappy, an exciting horror or action film is sure to fill one up with energy that the dreary weather had taken away. Sometimes watching movies can be boring as just sitting around isn’t much fun. Maybe try going to the Shorewood High School for an open swim at their indoor pool, or take a fun class at UWM or DSHA. Another fun indoor activity is reading a good book or doing some crafts. Most will think, Reading in the summer? That’s no fun! Though it may not seem like it, reading is actually really cool! It doesn’t just broaden one’s mind, but it also can open one up to a world of new characters, settings, and new ideas. When one gets into a good book, they never want to put it down! Children can spend the whole rainy day reading and exploring a new world! Lastly, doing crafts can be so much fun letting the creativity flow. Art is so amazing because there is no right or wrong, just art! It’s a great pastime and fun activity.

There are also many fun activities and restaurants to try out in the summer, too! Playing sports in the summer is a lot of fun and also doubles as exercise. Playing fun games of basketball or soccer at home or at a park is great, but there are also many teams and clubs one can join in the summer outside of school, like the Shorewood lacrosse team or  the UWM, Marquette, or DSHA basketball or volleyball camps. More camps and activities include taking a week to go to a zoo camp at the Milwaukee Zoo. In the camps, one will experience the animals at the zoo hands-on and learn many new things about the animals that they might have never known before. Biking is also a fun summer activity that offers the exercise those not involved in sports may be missing. One can bike to amazing locations like the Beer Garden. Here, there is a cool waterfall that is extremely beautiful. It’s a wonderful sight, and everyone should be able to witness it.

After a long day of fun, one can get the munchies and need a bite to eat. Do not fear; there are tons of chill locations in Milwaukee to hang out and get a bite to eat. One great location is Northpoint. The burgers and custard there are off the charts good! Located right next to the beach, it offers a great venue to look out at the wonderful lake. Another burger joint with spectacular custard is Kopps. Though there isn’t really anywhere to sit and dine here, the food can always be taken home to enjoy. Enough about burger joints – places like Colectivo are fun to go to in the summer for a nice sandwich or salad and more! Lastly, Jimmy Johns has delicious subs and Chocolate Factory has a huge selection of ice cream!

Now that summer is coming, try out some of the things listed here! Summer doesn’t last forever, so make the most of it!