Off Campus Soccer

Reed, Off Campus

Every year what seems like a large number of St. Robert students play soccer on off campus teams. There are many teams throughout Wisconsin and the students of this school belong to many of them. On some teams, a whole group of friends are together, so they can bond. For other kids, it is a chance to make new friends outside of school. Many different age groups are involved in soccer. One can start as youngster, but as they get older, they could continue playing, or they could become referees.

Here, in Wisconsin, soccer starts young as there are many leagues that support younglings such as MK Kickers, who has over 7,000 players, or Bavarians. Both of these leagues  start in the younger ages like U10, but go up to the high school level. That way, kids can stay with their club for a long time and not worry about getting too old for the team. When Pattie, a 3rd grader who plays soccer, was asked if he would like to play professionally he said, “[No]… because I want to do a few different things when I grow up.” Though that is the great thing about Soccer, it can be simplified enough to be comprehensible for younger kids, but still requires enough skill for older kids to stay interested. Younger kids like Pattie can get a feel of the sport before they have to spend hundreds of dollars on a good club, which is great. Another player, seventh grader Cal, explains,  “My first time playing soccer was probably around first grade.” Today, he still plays for Bavarian. When the players are playing they don’t travel that much, but over time, players will travel farther and farther away from their homes for games. At some point, select players will end up traveling the country in chase of their favorite sport.

“Approximately 70-75% of children will quit playing a sport by the age of 14,” is what Vince Ganzberg the director of education for Indiana youth soccer claims. That remaining 25-30% who continue playing sports are the players that will play hard and have a passion; these players can be found in the soccer leagues of the Milwaukee area. During the soccer season, players get to travel to not just other states, but places like Spain and England as well. One reason kids choose club or travel soccer leagues is that the coaches for older kids are hired professionals, so the players can really strive in the sport they love. Another reason why kids choose club teams is that the teams are more balanced. In most clubs team, one has to try out for multiple different skill level teams to ensure everyone on one team has the same general ability. A third incentive to play club is that there are better referees that are licenced and more experienced than those found in recreational leagues. The downside is that club is expensive, and it’s hard to get on a team, so unless one is serious about soccer it’s not worth it to spend the money.

For those that want to make the commitment to club, one way to earn some money back is through reffing Student reff, like seventh grader David, make12 dollars a game, making around 150 dollars a season. Reffing is also a great chance to get out of the house. As David says, “I like seeing how the little kids are progressing, and it’s fun to go outside.” Also, by being a referee, refs can learn the rules better, so they can play the game better when it’s their turn to be on the field. These reasons are all incentives to become a ref in the leagues throughout the area.

Soccer can reach many different age groups, younger and older, and a lucky few can find a way to earn back money by becoming a student ref. Soccer has become an integral part of the St. Robert community even though there is not even a team for the school itself.

References

“Bavarian Soccer Club.” Bavarian Soccer Club. SportNGIN, 2016. Web. 19 May 2016.<http://www.bavariansoccerclub.com/>.

Ganzberg, Vince. “Why They Stop.” US Youth Soccer. Us Youth Soccer, 2012. Web. 19 May 2016 <http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/why_they_stop/http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/>.

“Milwaukee Kickers Soccer Club Strives to Enrich the Lives of Adults and Youth.” Milwaukee Kickers Soccer Club Strives to Enrich the Lives of Adults and Youth. Milwaukee Kickers and Uihlein Soccer Park, 2016. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://www.mksc.org/>.