The student news site of St. Robert School

White and Blue Press

Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

gracevanderwaal

gracevanderwaal

Tessa, Guest Writer

Grace Vanderwaal is a pop prodigy and an adorable ukulele player earning thousands of dollars, all at the tender age of 13. She competed and won the 11th season of NBC’s America’s Got Talent in 2016 and is slowly singing her way to stardom after being deemed “The next Taylor Swift” by Simon Cowell, “A living, breathing miracle” by Howie Mandel, and “One in a million” by Mel B.

Vanderwaal has also just recently won the 2017 Radio Disney Music Award for Best New Artist and is currently working on a full-length album set to release in 2017 in addition to her already well known short album, Perfectly Imperfect, released in 2016. Grace is known for writing originals as she first auditioned on AGT with her original song, “I Don’t Know My Name” and got the golden buzzer while leaving the judges staring in awe. From her adorable style to unique voice, America just can’t seem to get enough of her, and Grace has inspired millions from around the world to pursue their dream, even if they’re just a kid.

Grace lives in Suffern, New York with her mom, dad, older sister, and dog. She started singing and composing her own music around the age of three and got her ukulele with her allowance for her 11th birthday. According to NBC, the singer-songwriter taught herself how to play ukulele through Youtube videos. She then started singing at open-mic clubs in New York and New Jersey once she got more comfortable with her style of singing (Petit). Vanderwaal says she started writing songs because she was “really bored” and writing songs was “fun” for her. While watching movies, she would often try to imagine what the character’s emotions were like. Her urge to empathize with the characters onscreen became her inspiration for writing songs (“Grace Vanderwaal Biography”).

Not only did Vanderwaal’s AGT win boost her confidence and her fame, but it also put a hefty amount of money into her hands, one million to be exact.

“I would like to donate part of the money to a charity,” says Vanderwaal, “probably related to the music industry, and I would like to buy a tree-house for me and my sister” (“Grace Vanderwaal Biography”).

Not only does Grace enjoy writing her own material, but she also enjoys singing covers by artists like Ed Sheeran, Alessia Cara, Elle King, Melanie Martinez, and more. She uploads videos of her singing covers and originals on her Youtube channel (@Oh Never mind it’s just me / Grace Vanderwaal). Her channel also includes rare footage of her singing at the age of just three!

After winning AGT, Grace Vanderwaal appeared on many talk shows such as the Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon and was featured in Teen Vogue. She has also been able to perform with Jason Mraz and sing a duet with Shawn Mendes – both of which have increased Vanderwaal’s fame.

Although Vanderwaal has been compared to Taylor Swift by Simon Cowell, she claims that she is more of a Katy Perry fan.

“Not so much the sound but as a person, I would say Katy Perry inspires me because you can always see that she’s being true to herself. She focuses on her music and even turns down big producers,” Vanderwaal told Teen Vogue. “Her whole career and music is about her being herself. I want to be more like that.”

Grace has inspired so many people in such a short amount of time as her hit original, “I Don’t Know My Name,” has topped  billboards all around the world and has over 300,000 covers on Youtube alone. Her beautifully raspy voice has raised her up to the top as she has received flowers signed by Taylor Swift and cracked the Top Ten in music and best artists. Vanderwaal’s songs have touched the hearts of millions and she continues to aspire past America’s Got Talent and into her own world.

Vanderwaal encourages young girls by advising, “Don’t let anyone dull your light, those are the people who dull, and dull, and dull…”

Who knows what’s next for this “Amazing Grace?”

References

“Grace Vanderwaal Biography.” The Famous People, Famous People.

thefamouspeople.com/profiles/grace-vanderwaal-7950.php

Petit, Stephanie. “5 Things to Know About the America’s Got Talent Winner.” People,

WordPress.com. 2017.

people.com/tv/grace-vanderwaal-5-things-to-know-about-americas-got-talent-winner/

18 Comments

18 Responses to “Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions”

1. oso on May 26th, 2017 5:31 am

She also sang True Colors with Cyndi Lauper at a benefit as well. And shared the stage and endorsed by Stevie Nicks on an episode. Go read the comment boards for some of the most in depth conversations by fans from 8 to 80. She’s quite a gift

[Reply]

2. Charles Michalk on May 27th, 2017 10:27 am

I saw Grace’s first show in Las Vegas and I cannot imagine a better show anywhere. The shows three performers complimented each other perfectly, and of course Grace was center stage. I have been keeping up with her ever since AGT and I am excited to see where she goes in her career.

[Reply]

3. Maureen on May 27th, 2017 1:56 pm

Grace is also very humble when she performs. The first thing that she always says when coming on stage is “thank you for having me”. Most, if not all, of her performances are charity benefits. Besides Special Olympics, Grace has performed at WE Days in Seattle and Chicago, Cirque du Soliel’s One Drop One Night, and two smaller events closer to her home in Suffern, NY.

[Reply]

4. Me, Myself & I on May 27th, 2017 2:49 pm

Grace will be performing in Tokyo, Japan June 17, 2017, June 21 at The Arena at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California , July 21 at Karoondinha Music Festival July 21, Centre Hall, Pa and the Austin City Limits Music Festival October 6-15, 2017. Grace VanderWaal will be releasing new single in June 2017, with new album following. And this appears to be a well written article!

[Reply]

5. Mike on May 28th, 2017 7:08 pm

I watched Grace sing her first song on AGT and instantly thought she would win. I recently purchased perfectly imperfect. Funny thing is I already know all the songs. You really are a miracle. I look forward to watching what happens next. Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us Grace.

[Reply]

6. Bill Splivens on May 31st, 2017 10:28 am

I love Grace’s personality and music style. I certainly hopes she re-evaluates her role models within the music industry.

[Reply]

7. Gaby on June 1st, 2017 9:47 am

Nice article Tess! You really explained about her life and I didn’t know really much about her.

[Reply]

8. Maggie on June 1st, 2017 2:00 pm

This is a really great article. It’s cool to learn about how she came to be and where she’s from. I think it’s amazing that a kid at her age won AGT.

[Reply]

9. Caroline on June 1st, 2017 2:01 pm

This was such an interesting article! I didn’t know that much about Grace, but now I am amazed at what she has been able to accomplish at such a young age. Grace really has a gift!!

[Reply]

10. Sra Demet on June 1st, 2017 10:53 pm

Great article, Tess!
    I love the way she sings but didn’t know much about her.
    Thank you!

[Reply]

11. Owen on June 2nd, 2017 10:00 am

I had no idea what all the buzz about Grace was, but now I’m interested.

[Reply]

12. Elise on June 5th, 2017 2:58 pm

I didn’t know that she won the radio Disney music awards. It’s cool that a 13 year old girl won AGT! Nice article Tessa!

[Reply]

13. lucy on June 5th, 2017 2:59 pm

this is really good! I remember watching grace in her audition and seeing her win the golden buzzer. It was so moving! I learned so much more about her through this paper. Nice job!

[Reply]

14. Leah on June 5th, 2017 2:59 pm

Very good article Tessa! She really stands out and everyone seems to enjoy her and her singing!

[Reply]

15. Sophia on June 6th, 2017 8:48 am

Amazing article Tessa! You explained her life and carrier so well! Thanks for telling me more abut her!

[Reply]

16. Olivia on June 6th, 2017 9:38 am

I loved your story on Grace Vanderwaal!

[Reply]

17. Hope on June 11th, 2017 7:27 am

Tess this is an absolutely amazing story! You really explained Graces life and it was just super interesting! Please never stop writing you are so good!

[Reply]

18. kacey on October 20th, 2017 2:57 pm

I love her new album!! 🙂 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

Workerbee and Leader

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

Happy Birthday Mrs. Weir!

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

From Speakers to Leaders

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

A Sacrifice Worth a Story

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

8th Graders Leading the Way

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

The Best of the Boy Scouts

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

Secret Saint

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

They Represent You!

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Saints & Leaders

COW Problems…Not the Live Kind

• Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions

Fashion & Style

New York Fashion Week Fall 2017

Grace Vanderwaal: Inspiring Millions