A Collection Of Good Samaritians

A Collection Of Good Samaritians

Ava S., Editor in Chief

When we were as young as kindergartners, we were taught to treat people as we want to be treated, yet time after time, the news is flooded with the cruel injustices of how people treat each other. Then, in the rare, shining diamond moments of the news, we hear about good samaritans, and it reminds us of the good in the world. In reviewing this past school year, it is easy to recall the moments of tension and discord on the news, but there was plenty of good worth noting as well.

On April 18, 2017, a poor woman lost her tax payment while on her way to file her taxes. Unfortunately, that day was also the last day people were allowed to file their taxes or pay the IRS. After Yesenia Del Valle looked everywhere and tore apart her car, she gave up. She tried driving to the Imperial Beach store in California where she purchased her money order for the IRS payment when she discovered it would take months to deliver a new one. Dejected, she drove home to break the news to her husband.

However, later that night, Sergio Juarez knocked on Del Valle’s door with the $676 money order. Grateful for his honest return of the check, Del Valle gave him $40 to “go take your wife to Denny’s.” It was then when Del Valle realized that Juarez was living in a motel with his wife and three kids, and both parents were out of job. Following the night of the missing money order, Del Valle took it upon herself to raise money for Juarez’s family and find him a job. As of April 26, Juarez has had several job interviews and around $10,000 in donations. While some say that the world is filled with bad people, two good people found each other and are making their lives better one money order at a time.

On Sunday, January 24, 2016, two year-old Sutton Whitt touched the hearts of many. In Seneca, South Carolina, Sutton’s parents Caleb and Kathryn Whitt were watching the Panthers play in the NFC championship while their daughter was sleeping. The couple overheard Sutton on the baby monitor praying. She was praying to Santa Claus about her grandparents.

Sutton prays every night for her parents. She regularly rushes through the prayer for about 20 seconds, but on that Sunday she prayed for two minutes. When Sutton’s mom saw her daughter praying, she immediately started recording a video. The mom shared it on Facebook, and soon Sutton became famous. Recently, Sutton went to work with her mom and everyone wanted her autograph.

Sutton’s story may not be one that shows how people physically support others, but it is a spark of positivity found in a world filled with negativity. She through her prayers to God sought to support her loved ones.

In addition to all of the positivity in the news, there are some negative tragedies that end up having a positive result, such as a kid who died too young, but ended up having a super sendoff.

On September 29th, 2016, a fourteen-year-old opened fire at an elementary school in Townville, South Carolina. The gunman shot two six-year-olds and one teacher. One of the students shot was Jacob Hall. He was rushed to the hospital but unfortunately died on October 1.

Jacob’s parents planned a super hero themed service to celebrate his life. On October 5, he was buried in a batman costume while pallbearers dressed as other superheroes. Guests were encouraged to wear either a superhero costume or a super hero t-shirt.

Renea Hall, Jacob’s mother talked about him. She recalled her son saying, “When you and Dad go to sleep, I go around saving the town.” Jacob was always inspired by heroes and always wanted to help others like the famous costumed supers did on TV and in the comics.

This story began as a huge tragedy that should have never happened, but the family made something good of it.

Ultimately, the world is filled with terrible disasters and poor choices, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. With returning money orders, singing, or celebrating someone’s life rather than dwelling that it’s over, the world can be a better place. In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”

References

Jackson, Amanda. “Toddler’s Prayer Caught on Baby Monitor.” CNN. Cable News Network, 26 Jan. 2016. Web. 18 May 2017

Ellis, Ralph. “‘Superhero Funeral’ for School Shooting Victim.” CNN. Cable News Network, 03 Oct. 2016. Web. 18 May 2017.

Hines, Bethany. “Man Rewarded for Returning Lost Money Order.” CNN. Cable News Network, 26 Apr. 2017. Web. 18 May 2017.