The student news site of St. Robert School

White and Blue Press

A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Reed, Editor-in-Chief

Many went into 2017 hoping to get a fresh start, a new chance, or to get away from yesteryear’s strife. However, with each new year there is not only joy, but pain and loss. 2017 is not different in that way.. To provide closure on this time of turmoil, the music wing of St. Robert lead by Mr. Zolinski, the band teacher, has decided to recognize and reflect on this community’s loss in order to better savor all that is gained. He aims to do this by having band play a tribute song at the upcoming spring concert.

The title of this song is song is “As Summer Was Just Beginning”. It was a piece written to memorialize the actor James Dean after his death due to a car crash in 1955. He passed so suddenly that it left a hole in many., Larry Daehn, moved by Dean’s legacy and artistry composed this piece as a tribute in 1994. James Dean once noted that people should, “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” His fans can trust that he certainly did live each moment to the fullest, and perhaps, that is why Daehn was so moved to compose this piece in his honor.

The nature and intention of this composition is also why it was chosen for the band this year. In the past school year, many community members at St. Robert have suffered great losses, lived through pain, and labored through the difficulties life threw at them. Together as a community, people have banned together to bear this pain. Mr. Zolinski explains,  “We picked this piece because it has been a very tough year for many in our St. Robert community.”

Along with this piece the concert band is also playing “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Incantation and Ritual,” and “Stone Age Stomp.” All of the pieces will move the audience as the students display the work they have put into the music program this year. However, “As Summer Was Just Beginning” will surely stand apart from the others. This song will be played in the concert to provide closure to these tragic times and allow everyone to recall those they’ve lost.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost”

1. Abby on June 1st, 2017 1:57 pm

I think this is a great way to show that St. Robert school support those who are struggling in loss, or those who are having a hard time.

[Reply]

Jaden Reply:

I also think this, and families that have lost someone can come here for tribute to them

[Reply]

2. Truman on June 1st, 2017 2:06 pm

I like how you talked about the people who have lost loved ones. I have gone through the tough times and had to struggle with the losses but I dealt with it even though I stil, think about it. Overall I thank that this was a very good article.

[Reply]

3. Sra Demet on June 1st, 2017 10:22 pm

That was a great idea! Thank you to Mr. Zolinski!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

Sales Galore!

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

Corner Bakery Cafe

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

The Evolution of One of America’s Most Beloved Pop Stars

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

A Collection Of Good Samaritians

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

Airplane Annoyances

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

How Trump?

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

What is The American Dream?

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

Poké Menace?

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

Can Violent Video Games Really Affect Behavior

• A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost

Editorials

What is a Hipster?

A Tribute to the Ones We’ve Lost