The student news site of St. Robert School

White and Blue Press

Planning for High School

Frankie, Daily News

Throughout the 8th grade year, many students find themselves pondering over the same question, “Where am I headed next year?” It can be stressful for kids to decide where they want to spend the next four years of their life, especially after they have spent so many years with their peers in the halls of St. Robert. St. Robert does try to help and support students with this difficult decision that can shape their futures in a very large way.

Throughout this trimester, many high schools have visited St. Robert. Each school attempted to make a convincing case to persuade the eighth graders to attend their high school.. The schools that have presented thus far include Pius XI, DSHA, MUHS, Dominican, and St. Thomas Moore. The meetings were held in classrooms and presenters used a variety of tactics to keep students engaged and excited about their school. Some of the visiting schools  gave out candy, hosted raffles, facilitated kahoots, and displayed  intriguing videos to grab their audience. During these visits, the high schools each gave a brief overview about their school philosophy and encouraged students to shadow.

Shadowing is when a kid who has interest in a certain school “shadows” a current high schooler attending there in order to get a good feel of what the school is really like behind the curtains. Many students find shadowing a vital opportunity to fully explore the school and factor new pros and cons into their decision. Shadowing provides kids with an opportunity to walk the halls as a highschooler, something that a presentation can barely scratch the surface of.

Many students who have shadowed this year already have returned to St. Robert with good reports. However, after seeing it for themselves, some aspects of the high school experience  have left kids worried about the things waiting for them upon their graduation. People have raved about the great lunch at Marquette High, and how nice the teachers were. Others, however, have ranted about how much homework students were given. Many students have become frantic about the homework load and the rigorous academics found at the high schools.

8th grade year can be a stressful time for students, as they are trying to balance their current school work and the tough decision of picking a high school. Despite this fact, many 8th grade students feel that the shadowing and in-school visits have allowed them to learn something new and gain perspective on their experience at St. Robert. These 8th graders may even hold a similar suggestion to the rest of the students at St. Robert: Savor your time here. Good times fly by, and although high school seems like the perfect place to be, grade school is something to be cherished as well.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Planning for High School”

1. Jack on December 1st, 2017 12:20 pm

This article is a great insight on eight grade. I should probably start thinking about high school because I really don’t know where I am going to go

[Reply]

2. nick on December 1st, 2017 12:28 pm

good article
    you share the importance of picking the right high school
    Good explanation of whats good and bad

[Reply]

3. Christina on December 1st, 2017 12:31 pm

The was an interesting article!

[Reply]

4. Sebastian on December 1st, 2017 12:33 pm

This article is great! I’m not sure if I should be exited for high school or not.

[Reply]

5. Alex on December 1st, 2017 12:34 pm

good luck

[Reply]

6. Sam on December 1st, 2017 12:35 pm

MUHS all the way!

[Reply]

7. Mitchell on December 1st, 2017 12:40 pm

Nice story. It looks hard finding a high school from wanting to be with your friends and location and if they accept you. Good luck Frankie finding a good high school!👍

[Reply]

8. Owen on December 1st, 2017 2:37 pm

I’m still working out where I may want to go, but the visits definitely helped me in my choosing.

[Reply]

9. Naod on December 1st, 2017 2:42 pm

This article makes me want to start deciding now where I want to go, but the shadowing will definitely help me decide the right high school for me.

[Reply]

10. parker on December 1st, 2017 2:52 pm

Great article! I loved how you kept on stating the need for people to think about where they want to go to high school. The whole “a lot of homework” part does scare me, but I’m not too worried about high school when I get there.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Help after Harvey!

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

All Saints Day

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Back to School Vibes

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Recess Basketball

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Babies on Wheels

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

The Meaning of Special

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Bottle Flipping

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Calling All Knitters

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

Alumni Ballin’

• Planning for High School

Daily Life

The Office Hero

Planning for High School