The student news site of St. Robert School

White and Blue Press

Gobble Gobble !!

BHOFACK2

BHOFACK2

Natalie, Off Campus

Thanksgiving is a time where family and friends reunite, dine on tasty turkey, and eat lots of pumpkin pie. Although every family has their own own traditions, most people at St. Robert spend their Thanksgiving in similar ways. The food that is eaten and the tradition of celebrating with relatives are things that most families have in common when celebrating this holiday.

Warm mashed potatoes, sweet pumpkin pie, and delicious turkey adorn tables across the United States on Thanksgiving. These are the most common foods people eat on this famous holiday. Phoebe, a student at St. Robert confirms this when she explains, “We normally eat mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and turkey.” Although these items may be prepared and eaten in many different ways depending on the household, these remain the traditional foods eaten on this holiday. Of course, there are many more tasty preparations to be eaten on the holiday. “We normally eat stuffing and cranberry sauce,” eighth grader Lucy states. The food that is eaten often can give the holiday a sense of familiarity each consecutive year.  

In addition to sharing similar food traditions, most people celebrate Thanksgiving by gathering with their estranged family and friends. Some people celebrate with their very close family and friends while others celebrate with family they may not even know very well. Some family members are separated by great distances, and holidays like Thanksgiving can give them a chance to reconnect at least once a year. Cat, a St. Robert student affirms, “We celebrate with my cousins and grandparents every year.” Thanksgiving is really a family oriented holiday where people enjoy special moments with their loved ones and reflect on everything that they are grateful for.

Additionally enjoying these moments with family has become many people’s main reason for celebrating. Lucy mentions, “I just like coming together with my whole family.” People celebrate with their distant family members, so for some this holiday holds even greater meaning as they reflect on the joy they find when gathering with the people they cherish most. Lucy explains, “This holiday is really just about being grateful, so I think gathering with the people you love is a great way to celebrate.”

In contrast to people eating the same foods and spending time with similar people, most people have their own traditions that make this holiday unique. “We always sit around and watch The Simpsons after we eat,” Phoebe explains. Phoebe usually spends Thanksgiving with her close family every year, so this is a very fun activity to do and a way for her family to bond over something they all find interest in. Moreover, Cat discusses, “We always travel to wherever our family is. We went to Chicago last year, and this year we’re going Florida.” It is common for people who celebrate with their extended family to travel to see their loved ones, since not everyone lives in the same place. Lastly, Lucy states, “We always watch football with our cousins, or play football outside while my mom and grandma are in the kitchen.” When it comes to family traditions for Thanksgiving, everyone has their own take on the activities that fill their day with joy and love.

Although most people eat similar foods and spend time with family, there are still many distinct traditions that take place on Thanksgiving. Turkey, pumpkin pie, and mashed potatoes are really what most people like to dine on this holiday. Furthermore, it is common that people spend time with family, and sometimes friends, on this very family oriented holiday. Thanksgiving is an amazing and reflective holiday that can be celebrated in many way. This holiday truly serves as a reminder for people to be thankful for the things they have and the people they have to share them with.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Gobble Gobble !!”

1. Donovan on December 1st, 2017 9:30 am

Nice article! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. My favorite pie is French Silk.

[Reply]

2. Sebastian on December 1st, 2017 12:21 pm

Great article! My family always has an amazing cranberry fluff at Thanksgiving dinner.

[Reply]

3. Jack on December 1st, 2017 12:22 pm

Great article. Thanksgiving does give everyone a chance to hang out with family.

[Reply]

4. Ava on December 1st, 2017 12:25 pm

Great article! Thanksgiving is definetly my favorite holiday.

[Reply]

5. lily on December 1st, 2017 12:28 pm

This article made me wish I was back at my Grandma’s house eating turkey and mashed potateos!!! Good Job!!!!!

[Reply]

6. Alex on December 1st, 2017 12:39 pm

thanksgiving = turkey = sleepy = good?

[Reply]

7. Abby on December 1st, 2017 2:10 pm

I think its important for people to have their own traditions even though everyone is celebrating the same holiday. It really makes people’s holidays unique and fun.

[Reply]

8. Madeleine on December 1st, 2017 2:13 pm

A good holiday to enjoy with your family

[Reply]

9. Truman on December 1st, 2017 2:44 pm

Nice article Natalie you really bring out the true joy of thanksgiving and how it is a good time to spend with your family.

[Reply]

10. Owen on December 1st, 2017 2:46 pm

Good article. My family always come together for Thanksgiving.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

The TV Show of the Century

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Lights, Camera, Action! Behind the Scenes of The Milwaukee Film Festival

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

SHERlocked

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Shorewood’s Newest Hotspots

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Hayek’s: Shorewood’s Favorite Drug Store

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Namaste: Give Yoga a Try at Yoga Loft!

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Off Campus Soccer

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Summer Swag: Fun in the Milwaukee Sun

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

The Campus That is Off Campus

• Gobble Gobble !!

Off Campus

Churros for Healing

Gobble Gobble !!