Out with the Old, in with the New: Changes in Student Council

Molly, Saints and Leaders

Student government is a way that people can voice their opinions and ideas on change in the community. This year’s student council government system is very different than it was last year. In previous years, to have a position, students needed to draft speeches and recieve votes from their peers.

This year, instead of an election process, any student that wishes to participate in the club is allowed to be a part of it. The roles in student council include: recess clubs, spirit team, and student speakers. According to Ms. Mathews, who was one of the main people responsible for this change, “The goal is to give more people the opportunity without having to be voted in by their classmates.” Since middle school is a stepping stone to the future, it is important that everyone has the opportunity to grow in leadership and decide if they are interested in pursuing leadership roles in high school and beyond.

Members of the spirit team claim that the new student government system is a fun and stress-free way to explore their leadership talents. For students that are more afraid of public speaking, it gives them the chance to pursue a role that they otherwise might not. However, others might argue that students should earn their position and take on the challenge of persuading others to vote for them.  

Currently the spirit team is planning Catholic Schools Week. This task includes deciding themes for out of uniform days, drafting announcements, and choosing songs to play for the school pep rallies. On the other hand, the student speaker team is focused on bringing in adults speakers to discuss possible career options and share life experiences with the students.

The new student council system allows students to volunteer to better the school without having to go through an election. Things are being changed for the better at St. Robert and the students are ready to lead the school in a new direction.