A Week to Remember!

Sam, Daily Life

Even though the Christmas holiday is over, the students at St. Robert School still have something to look forward to: Catholic Schools Week! This exciting week is jam packed with games, dancing and different themed days. , Some of the theme days are pajama day, color wars day, and crazy hair day. This week is a national event that takes place throughout catholic all over the country . The types of Catholic school traditions vary from school to school, but many schools kickoff with an open house and a mass. The purpose of this week is to focus on the value of a Catholic education.

At St. Robert School there are a couple groups composed of middle school students and teachers that work together to plan the activities. One group is made up of student council members ranging from 6th-8th grade. A member of this student council team is eighth grader, Phoebe. She has been on the student council staff for two years, currently serving her third year.

Phoebe explained, “The themes this year are pajama day, miss-match day, crazy hair day, sports day, color wars, and spirit wear day. Also on Friday, the teachers will be battling the 8th graders in a volleyball game.” Additionally, Phoebe commented, “The volleyball game is definitely a favorite amongst the kids. They create banners and signs rooting for each opposing side.” Phoebe also said, “Another plus to Catholic Schools Week is the opportunity that students have to dress out of uniform. It allows to students be comfortable and relaxed for all the fun activities throughout the week.”

8th graders may recall Catholic Schools Week 4 years ago, when they were fourth graders, as it was one of the craziest Catholic schools week of their 10 years at St. Robert. The 8th graders that year, the class of 2014, crushed the teachers badly during the volleyball game. Sitting in the bleachers, hearing the shouts and laughter of the players as well as the cheering from the crowd of young students was an incredible experience. Current 8th graders remember watching the 8th graders warm up before the game thinking, “Whoa, I can’t wait to play the teachers when I’m in 8th grade.”

January 29th through February 2nd marks Catholic Schools Week for the Milwaukee Archdiocese. The week will have a different theme for everyday, making each day unique. St. Robert will be open for families to tour for prospective students. On Sunday, January 28th, St. Robert will have a Sunday mass that will follow with a pancake breakfast to kick off the celebration of Catholic Schools Week. This week is memorable for hundreds of students that attend Catholic schools in Milwaukee and neighboring suburbs, and this week is an amazing way to honor the catholic education that all St. Robert students have been granted with.