White and Blue Press

Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Doris Hajewski

Natalie, Off Campus

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a Friday with your friends? Shopping! Bayshore mall has been a very convenient mall location for many students at St. Robert for many years. However, over the course of this past year, Bayshore mall has been slowly losing its draw. Students are frustrated as their preferred stores continue to close, and many people are also infuriated by the setup of the mall itself. These students have a clear opinion about what Bayshore needs to add in order to stay on its feet.

Everyone has their own store where they absolutely love to shop. Usually, a mall has something for everybody, all of those favorite stores tucked somewhere on the grounds. Some popular stores a teenager would  currently search for at a mall would be stores like Madewell, PacSun, Zara, Lululemon, Free People, Anthropologie, and more. However, Bayshore carries few of these favorites, if any of these stores. Madeline, an 8th grader at St. Robert explains, “Since J-crew has declared bankruptcy, a lot of their stores have disappeared including the one in Bayshore.” She explains how she and many others she knows shopped there frequently.

Lucy, another student at St. Robert also explains, “Stores in which people go to a mall to shop for such as BareMinerals [a makeup store], Vera Bradley [an accessories store], and iPic [bowling alley] have all closed.” People are traveling to other malls now to find the stores where they want to shop as Bayshore’s selection has become limited.

Not only does the lack of stores give Bayshore a bad reputation, but the way this “outdoor” mall is set up also does. “Having an outdoor mall in Wisconsin is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard,” Madeline claims. Shopping at Bayshore in the wintertime is a big struggle. Everyone has to bundle up just to go to one store to buy a Christmas gift. Not only does the mall really fit in its location, but parking has been a major disadvantage for many of its shoppers. There is parking on both sides of the narrow streets cutting through the mall, causing much chaos when stopping to parallel park. There are rarely any spots available too.

Although Bayshore is going downhill, the one reason most people like it is that of its convenient location. “Going all the way out to Mayfair mall is a long hike as Bayshore is only 10 minutes away from where I live,” Lucy explains. If Bayshore had better stores, it would have a great business because of there no other malls in its area.

Bayshore can be saved, and some students explain how to do so. Sophia is also an 8th grader at St. Robert and she explains how adding better stores will improve the mall’s business. “If they included maybe a Lululemon or PacSun, I would definitely go there more.” People like shopping at stores such as Madewell, Nordstrom, Target, and Anthropologie. These stores would draw business back to Bayshore. People would make use of its close location and shop at stores they like. Bayshore has the potential of being saved, but it just needs some work.

About the Writer
Natalie, Off Campus News

Natalie has gone to St. Robert for nine years. She writes in the Sports section of the White and Blue press. She is in 7th grade and loves St. Robert School...

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?”

1. Jack on May 10th, 2018 12:10 pm

I liked the article it was very interesting.

2. Donovan on May 10th, 2018 12:12 pm

I went to ipic just in time. I went bowling there with my friend a couple of weeks ago. I also used to see quite a few movies there as well.

3. Dana on May 10th, 2018 12:15 pm

It is very unfortunate that Bayshore is starting to be closed down, but the mall does need some renovation. If the mall did change the scenery a bit than customers should come back.

4. Elise on May 10th, 2018 12:24 pm

This is a great article. It is a shame that all the good stores at Bayshore are closing.

5. Jonas on May 10th, 2018 12:37 pm

I used to go bowling and watch movies there all the time. That kinda makes me sad that it closed. I also like shoe shopping at champs and footlocker, so I hope it doesn’t close down.

6. matthew on May 10th, 2018 12:50 pm

Well at least zoomes and lids haven’t closed.

7. nick on May 10th, 2018 12:53 pm

great article

8. Alex on May 11th, 2018 1:09 pm

R.I.P Bashore Mall?

9. Ava on May 11th, 2018 1:16 pm

Nice article.

10. Max on May 11th, 2018 1:18 pm

Interesting! Never knew that

11. Sam on May 11th, 2018 1:18 pm

will it resurrect or will it fall?

12. Maura on May 11th, 2018 2:04 pm

Great article!

13. Victor on May 13th, 2018 2:30 am

I’m disappointed in the closure of many retail stores. Bayshore has a great opportunity to renew its self, but with the route it’s headed, they don’t seem to “care” about its loses. With Boston Store closing, teavana, Vera Bradley, and many more flagship stores closing, I see Bayshore closing in the next year or so. I hate saying this because I use to work at Apple. Never did I think the mall would shut down due to bankcrutpy. As Lucy mentioned, it’s a great place to go because Mayfair is too far away. It’s not as convenient to go to. Apple is Bayshores last resort. If or when apple leaves, Bayshore is not longer going to be in service. I hope all is well and that Bayshore finds a retail or goods store to take over the abandancy of Boston Store.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

The New Year: A Worldwide Celebration

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

The Evolution of the Christmas Tree

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Why We Love Culver’s

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Fiserv Forum: New and Innovated

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Lili Reinhart: A Star to Look up to

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Click Your Heels Together Three Times

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

The Big Transition: High School

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

From Vancouver to the Big Screen: Finn Wolfhard

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Ready, Set, Plunge!

• Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?

Off Campus

Little Switzerland

The student news site of St. Robert School
Bayshore Mall: Will it Survive?