White and Blue Press

Celebrating the Many Cultures of Our World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stella Mahaga

Stella Mahaga

Stella Mahaga

Lucy, Editor-in-Chief

It is important to educate everyone, especially younger students, on the many cultures that are celebrated all over the world. St. Robert’s annual tradition of celebrating the folk fair is one of the many ways that we can learn about the lives of people all over the world.

Every year the third graders at St. Robert display a fair that showcases various countries for the whole school. Each student is first assigned a country to research, and then the students are put with a partner or into group of three. The groups must research various facts about the country, such as the imports and exports from that country, the foods that are eaten, the natural resources, and the clothes that are worn most commonly in that place. They then must choose a specific person from their assigned country who has influenced the world in someway.These important figures could be anything from a politician to a sports star, or perhaps a even world leader. For example, if you were assigned the country of Argentina, you may choose to research on the soccer star Messi. Once a person has been chosen, each kid has to write a paper about that person, talking about their life and influence on this world.

For the actual fair that takes place in Reilly Hall, the kids must present what they have learned about their country. Each group has a table where they can put a tri-fold board with their countries’ information. They usually also decorate their table with props relating to their country, and they put their papers on the table. They even  dress in clothing that resembles the attire of those who live in that country, and they must make a food dish native to the country as well. For example, if you had the country of Belgium, you may choose to make Belgian waffles because that is a popular dish. After all of the tables are set and ready, it is time for the kids to display all of their hard work. Every grade, ranging from K4-8th, gets an opportunity to stop down at the fair. Students can walk around and ask the third graders questions about their country. Visitors and parents can snack on the tasty treats from each country and even watch the third graders dance as a class.

All in all, the folk fair is a great way for the third graders to expand their cultural horizons, and for visitors to learn something new. It is a great project full of collaboration, hard work, and fun. The third graders majorly benefitted from this enriching project and they hope it will continue on for generations to come.

About the Writer
Lucy, Editor-in-Chief

Lucy is a current 8th grader at St. Robert. This year she is Editor-in-Chief of the White and Blue press, and she is very enthusiastic to see what this...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Celebrating the Many Cultures of Our World”

1. Jonas on May 10th, 2018 12:16 pm

I remember when I did the folk fair. It was really fun.

2. Jack on May 10th, 2018 12:19 pm

very interesting

3. Elise on May 10th, 2018 12:20 pm

This is a great article and the third graders did an amazing job at the folk fair. They have helped many people learn about their specific countries.

4. Jack on May 10th, 2018 12:29 pm

I liked the article because I love going to the folk fair and I loved when I did it.

5. Donovan on May 10th, 2018 12:30 pm

This year’s world fair was very interesting and fun. I liked trying the different foods from all of the different countries.

6. Max on May 10th, 2018 12:52 pm

Very interesting article.
    Very detailed!

7. Ava on May 11th, 2018 1:18 pm

Good article. I remember when we did the folk fair, it was pretty fun

8. Sam on May 11th, 2018 1:28 pm

when I did the folk fair my group had a lot more decorations than we needed. It’s nice to know that people still put lots of detail in their table

9. Mrs. Nehls on May 11th, 2018 10:54 pm

The 3rd grade Folk Fair project is one of my favorite events to attend. The students are so excited to share what they have learned about their countries. Every year I am impressed with the students projects- the information they have researched and gathered, the costumes or traditional garb that they wear, the ethnic foods that they bring, and artifacts that they display and share with others. The 3rd grade class did an exceptional job! Every year I learn something new about another place in the world I would love to visit!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Celebrating the Many Cultures of Our World

Editorials

The End of an Era

Editorials

Christmas Time is Here

Editorials

Deal or No Deal

Editorials

Brewers Postseason: Past, Present, and Future

Editorials

A Fresh Start: Middle School

Editorials

He Shoots, He Scores!

Editorials

Landscaping Heroes

Editorials

Churro Sale 2018

Editorials

A Snapshot of 2017

Editorials

Getting Festive This Christmas

The student news site of St. Robert School