White and Blue Press

Science Fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Science Fair

Frankie, Daily Life

Imagine being able to float around on an object, anywhere at will. A scientific and engineering feat like this seems only possible if created by the world’s finest and most accomplished scientists. However, a hoverboard was successfully produced by a group of 6th graders at St. Robert’s annual science fair. The St. Robert science fair is a great environment that showcases the students scientific skills.

The design of the science fair works pretty simply. Students pick either a demonstration to perform or an experiment to test. Students put together their findings onto a poster board. In previous years, students have put together their findings in videos. All of the work happens in science class for students. Participants must work diligently in order to get their work done inside of school, but many also work on these projects at home as well. The science fair endeavors teach students good study habits and exploratory science skills.

Some of the entries in the science fair this year were amazing. A group of 6th graders created a fully functional hoverboard. Although many didn’t believe it would work, they continued to make it, and it ended up fascinating viewers at the science fair.  Moreover, many 8th graders came up with amazing chemical reactions like the creation of fire between sodium and water as well as the smoking and whistling of glucose and potassium chlorate. Other entries included dry ice, a tesla coil, and experiments testing whether smiling is contagious or whether calm music affects test takers.

While pursuing their scientific explorations, students apply the scientific process to their experiments. They come up with a procedure, a list of materials, hypothesis, background research, initial question, conclusion, acknowledgements, and a list of sources they used. As well as using science, students apply reading and literature skills to their findings as they research to understand the elements that may have impacted their experiment and articulate their conclusions in writing.

The science fair also awards students with awards for their successes. Students receive either a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place award, depending on the score the judges gave them. This score does not affect the grade they are given in science class. However,  one prize named the Da Vinci Award is given to a project that incorporated engineering skills to a great extent.

The St. Robert science fair is always a well-organized, wonderful event that allows students to show off what they have worked on in class in the past month. The fair is opened to all students, and some years provides snacks like lemonade and popcorn. Once in a while a student will include food in their experiment and give it to onlookers at the fair. Students are always encouraged to come and view the St. Robert scientist’s experiments.

About the Contributors
Frankie, Daily Life

Frankie is an 8th grader entering his 2nd year as a writer on the St. Robert newspaper. Frankie enjoys playing basketball and watching his favorite player,...

Jillian, Media Team

Jillian is an eighth grader at St. Robert School and is excited to be part of the Media Team this year. Jillian enjoys playing soccer and volleyball, skiing,...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Science Fair”

1. Donovan on May 10th, 2018 12:06 pm

I loved riding this hover board. It was very fun to ride and go anywhere I wanted.

2. Jonas on May 10th, 2018 12:08 pm

The science fair was really fun!! I cant wait to do it again next year.

3. Elise on May 10th, 2018 12:31 pm

This is a good article. The science fair was a huge success. Everyone did a great job conducting experiments and making their boards.

4. Jack on May 10th, 2018 12:48 pm

This article explained the science fair really well!

5. Mitchell on May 10th, 2018 12:50 pm

Good article! Thank you for including our hoverboard in your paper. Keep up the good work.

6. Max on May 10th, 2018 12:54 pm

The hoverboard was so much fun. The science fair this year had so many interesting projects.

7. Alex on May 11th, 2018 1:06 pm

I rode the hoverboard and it was awesome!

8. Sam on May 11th, 2018 1:08 pm

the fact that our hoverboard is in the news paper in great! Thanks.

9. Ava on May 11th, 2018 1:10 pm

This really explains the science fair, and how it works. Good job

10. parker on May 11th, 2018 2:43 pm

This was a great overview of the science fair this year and also explains what goes on. Good Job!!!!!

11. Naod on May 11th, 2018 3:00 pm

Nice job Frankie, you did a good job on explaining your facts, and the overall article was great

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Science Fair

Daily Life

Farewell Mr. Rohlinger

• Science Fair

Daily Life

St. Robert Forensics

• Science Fair

Daily Life

All Saint’s Day: A Holy Celebration

• Science Fair

Daily Life

The Fall Festival

• Science Fair

Daily Life

Welcome to the World Thomas Kinateder

• Science Fair

Daily Life

The New Math Teacher

• Science Fair

Daily Life

Best Day of the Year

• Science Fair

Daily Life

St. Robert Fair Fun

• Science Fair

Daily Life

Hola! Bonjour! Welcome to Camp!

• Science Fair

Daily Life

A Green Sparkling Party

The student news site of St. Robert School
Science Fair