White and Blue Press

Why You Should Join the School Musical

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why You Should Join the School Musical

Clara, Fine Arts

The middle school musical is an opportunity for students to showcase their acting, singing, and technological talent to the school as members of of cast or crew for the annual showcase. Usually this is a competitive field, with many people trying out for various roles and trying to cram themselves in to various parts of the production. However this year a lack of numbers in participants greatly affected the show.

Owen the assistant director of the play stated that “This year the crew team had a big struggle [since] many people didn’t … want to do crew at first. We wished we that there was more people who wanted to do it.” Many people  didn’t want to do the play because of the huge commitment it takes, but Agrim who plays the lead role of this year’s The Lion King Jr. says that “ It [the commitment] depends on a lot of things like what role you have and what performance you [are] doing, but while you’re doing it [the play] doesn’t feel like a huge commitment. It’s really fun.” Also, some of the crew spots only require someone to come in a few times over the course of the rehearsal process instead of attending all of the practices.

Many play members also feel that there are benefits to doing the play in addition to being in a fun performance. Naod, who is the play’s stage manager, states, “Being the stage manager helps me with leadership skills as I need to lead the crew, so they know what they need to know and their job.” Agrim, who is playing Simba, has also encountered benefits to being an actor in the play: “[The play] helps me with public speaking and things like that. My experience in the play helped me get a role in a Beauty and the Beast play [last year].” Owen feels that his role in crew teaches him to be more self sufficient and teaches him the technicalities of the trade.

The play is also a good opportunity for someone to learn new skills. New crew members are trained by veteran crew members from the previous years. In addition to that, a kid named Sawyer from Shorewood High School comes and helps everyone learn how to do spotlight and microphone setups. The cast of the play also gets tips from Karl, the play director, on how to improve their acting abilities, Agrim states, “Well, he tries to get us to understand why were doing what we do instead of just having us say our lines. He wants us to understand the story behind it, which helps the performance because we give [the performance] more thought, and with Karl you treat everything like professional theater, which helps us stay focused throughout.”  The school play is definitely a good building block if someone wants to do play later on in their school career or life. Owen mentioned, “ If you do this, [the play] in high school, it’s easier to do … because you will know what to do.”

All in all, the play is a good experience that many middle school students should choose to do because they might find something that turns out to be really fun for them. This is a good opportunity for students to learn a new skill and it’ll benefit the student’s skills in some way or another. Where the play may be a hard commitment to make, it is definitely something students should strive to be a part of.  Agrim stated that, “Being with your friends and being able to see what you’ve put together and accomplished on opening night when your all nervous together is definitely coolest part of the play.”

About the Contributors
Clara, Fine Arts

Clara is a new writer for the White and Blue Press. She is in the seventh grade and will be writing for the Fine Arts column. This is Clara’s first year...

Jillian, Media Team

Jillian is an eighth grader at St. Robert School and is excited to be part of the Media Team this year. Jillian enjoys playing soccer and volleyball, skiing,...

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Why You Should Join the School Musical”

1. Dana on May 10th, 2018 12:06 pm

The article was very good. The topic was good as well.

2. Charles on May 10th, 2018 12:12 pm

I thought that your paper or article was very well written, and might have convinced me to do play next year!

3. izzy on May 10th, 2018 12:14 pm

Love it! I wanted to do the play but it got into soccer which I couldn’t afford to give up. This is making me want to do the play next year if it doesn’t interfere with soccer.

4. Elise on May 10th, 2018 12:35 pm

This article is really good. The Lion King is going to be a huge success. I think I might want to join play next year now.

5. Christina on May 10th, 2018 12:55 pm

I loved being in crew for the one day I could attend. Next year, I will see if my activities don’t interfere with the play. Nice article!

6. Lindsey on May 11th, 2018 1:13 pm

Being in play is very fun. Everyone should give play a try because even if you don’t have a lead it is so fun to hang out with friends. Very good article, can’t wait to see more.

7. Sam on May 11th, 2018 1:21 pm

*Does the windmill as he reads the article*

8. Ava on May 11th, 2018 1:22 pm

Loved the article!! The play was really fun

9. Madeleine on May 11th, 2018 2:02 pm

Although the play was a huge commitment, it was still fun! Great Article!

10. Maura on May 11th, 2018 2:09 pm

Its sad that people haven’t been as interested in the school mucical as in the past, but the musical was still super fun this year!

11. agrim on May 11th, 2018 2:14 pm

I think that more people should join the musical because it is running out of people and we need it to go on

12. Jaden on May 11th, 2018 2:46 pm

Great article! And yes, I also think more people should join next year, especially in crew

13. Sal on May 11th, 2018 2:48 pm

Good Job. This really shows how the play is a fun activity full of experience!

14. parker on May 11th, 2018 2:49 pm

Great paper while describing key details towards someone wanting to do the play. Good Job!!!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Why You Should Join the School Musical

Arts

She Needs to Practice!

Arts

Autumn Concert!

Arts

A New Face is Singing at St. Robert

Arts

Rusalka: A Mermaid’s Tale

Arts

Glossier

Arts

How to Dress like Millie Bobby Brown

Arts

Photos for the Prize

Arts

How to Wear a Statement Coat

Fine Arts

A Night of Music

Fashion & Style

New York Fashion Week Fall 2017

The student news site of St. Robert School
Why You Should Join the School Musical