White and Blue Press

The New Math Teacher

Seb

Seb

Audrey S, Daily Life

The St. Robert’s middle school math teacher Mrs. Kinateder just left for maternity leave following the birth of her second child and first son. While she is on her maternity leave spending her time with her newborn, there will be a new math teacher named Mr. Rohlinger taking over for her. Mr. Rohlinger lives in Whitefish Bay with his wife and son. In his spare time, he likes to do a lot of activities with his family such as swimming, canoeing, water skiing, and snow skiing.

Mr. Rohlinger decided he wanted to become a teacher because as he explains,“Like you guys, I had some great math teachers in high school who inspired me to help [students learn].” Seventh grader Flannery talks about how she is excited to learn with Mr. Rohlinger in math:  “I think he is really fun to learn from because he actually makes math fun!” Mr. Rohlinger has not only made an impact on Flannery, but also many others due to his effective teaching skills. Mr. Rohlinger explained that he likes the kids that he teaches, and Evie in seventh grade feels the same way about Mr. Rohlinger too: “I think that he is really funny, nice, and outgoing.” Not only does Evie agree that Mr. Rohlinger is a good teacher, but a lot of seventh graders also agree.

After deciding that he wanted to teach, Mr. Rohlinger worked at multiple schools. Mr. Rohlinger explains, “ [I have taught at] St. Nessan Limerick in Ireland, and I subbed for a lot of different schools for Milwaukee Public Schools.” When Mr. Rohlinger lived in Ireland for ten years, he worked at St. Nessan Limerick for two years. Now, St. Nessan’s has merged into a new school called St. John Bosco Community College. Although he has taught at public schools previously, Mr. Rohlinger prefers teaching in Catholic schools due to his experiences of teaching in Ireland, which confirmed that he loved the Catholic school environment.

Although Mr. Rohlinger likes teaching here so far, there are some challenges that he will have to deal with as he attempts to bring math to them middle school. Some people think that Mr. Rohlinger needs to be careful about the loudness of the middle school in math, which often results in kids misbehaving. This may not be the case in all middle school math classes, but Mr. Rohlinger explains that “There are some classes that have good behavior, and there are some classes that misbehave. Although this might be true, I love all of the kids I teach in this school.”  Also, there are some things that Mr. Rohlinger is looking forward to at Holy Family. Many people might not know that he is a practicing Catholic who loves his faith so when the school goes to mass on Fridays, he loves to pray and watch the school grow in communal prayer.

In conclusion, Mr. Rohlinger has come to St. Robert eager to teach, and while he works to understand how the middle school of St. Robert behaves, he is helping many get excited about math. When people see Mr. Rohlinger in the hallways, they see a funny, smart, and kind teacher who cares about his students, which is exactly what the middle school likes about him. Although he will only be here for a few months, Mr. Rohlinger is a teacher no one will ever forget!

About the Writer
Audrey S, Daily Life

Audrey is a seventh grader. She is excited for her first year writing for the White and Blue Press! She writes awesome newspapers about the daily life...

18 Comments

18 Responses to “The New Math Teacher”

1. Christina on October 4th, 2018 4:20 pm

Wow! This was a great view on Mr. R’s point of view. Love the article! Keep up the good work!

2. Flannery on November 2nd, 2018 2:21 pm

Nice article audrey!

3. jack on November 2nd, 2018 2:22 pm

nice story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Alex on November 2nd, 2018 2:24 pm

Lots of good information! Good job!

5. Gaby on November 2nd, 2018 2:26 pm

Love the article Audrey!

6. nick on November 2nd, 2018 2:29 pm

good paper with many good details

7. Matt on November 2nd, 2018 2:32 pm

Great article! I like the detail in your article.

.

8. Ava on November 2nd, 2018 2:35 pm

Great article. It had a lot of details, and facts.

9. Lily on November 6th, 2018 8:20 pm

Wow Audrey I loved your article and I totally agree with you about Mr. Rohlinger

10. kalos on November 9th, 2018 10:35 am

AFTER Christmas Mr. Rohli will always be in our hearts nice article too

11. Evie on November 9th, 2018 10:35 am

I loved your article because it was very detailed and I also think that no one will forget Mr. R because he is such a great teacher and helps in so many different ways.

12. Harrison on November 9th, 2018 10:35 am

This was a great article! I loved you interviewed people and saw their perspective on Mr. Rohlinger.

13. Helen on November 9th, 2018 10:36 am

That was a great article Audrey! I loved how you made the article on the students and on Mr. Rohlinger’s point of view. It was also really interesting on his background story and how he got into teaching. I’m going to miss Mr. Rohlinger when his time at St. Robert ends.

14. Maddie on November 9th, 2018 10:45 am

Great article, I like how you showed us more of a back story about Mr. R. I liked how you got some students point of view about him. You did a great job Audrey.

15. Helen on November 9th, 2018 10:47 am

Great article Audrey! I love how you incorporated both the students and Mr. Rohlinger’s point of view. It was really interesting hearing about Mr. Rohlinger’s background and how he got drawn to teaching. I’m really going to miss when his time here at St. Robert ends.

16. Grace on November 9th, 2018 10:54 am

Great article! I like how you asked people pros and cons on Math. Before Math used to be a struggle for me, but now I look forward to Math and it appears fun for me.

17. Katherine on November 9th, 2018 10:59 am

Mr. R is one of the best teachers I’ve ever had! He will stay in our hearts even after he leaves this Christmas.

18. Jonah on November 16th, 2018 10:57 am

I like the detail in your article. and I think Mr. Rohlinger is a great teacher.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

The Fall Festival

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Welcome to the World Thomas Kinateder

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Best Day of the Year

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

St. Robert Fair Fun

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Hola! Bonjour! Welcome to Camp!

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Science Fair

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

A Green Sparkling Party

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

A Week to Remember!

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Christmas Eve Mass

• The New Math Teacher

Daily Life

Makerbot: Improving Life at St. Robert

The student news site of St. Robert School
The New Math Teacher