White and Blue Press

Plane Crash

Flickr Commons

Flickr Commons

Evelyn, Creative Response

My body trembled with fear as the plane started to go down. Everybody’s screams echoed through my head. My life flashed before my eyes, and I wished that I had been nicer to Jessica, not talked back to my parents, and told my family that I loved them more often.

Earlier that day, my parents walked me to John F. Kennedy airport, and butterflies had filled my stomach. I couldn’t wait to visit my aunt in Sydney, Australia. Suddenly, I got a sense with panic, realizing that I forgot my passport, but quickly found it in my big, yellow backpack. I gave my parents a tight hug before they watched me go through security. I turned back for one last cliché wave before disappearing down a long, dark hallway.  

I then boarded the plane full of hundreds of other passengers, and I couldn’t wait to land at the Sydney Airport. After walking down the skinny, lit up aisle, I found my seat: 24A. I sat down, buckled up, watched the safety video, and settled into my small, comfy seat.

The raspy voiced captain announced over the speakers, “Good afternoon folks! We are about to take off! Get ready!” I was settled in and secured beneath my my seat belt, with a pillow behind my head and a blanket at my feet. I heard the rumble of the wheels against the runway as I looked out the window at the late afternoon sun. All of a sudden my face became hot and my palms ran with clammy sweat. I heard the luggage above us in the overhead bins tumbling around while I began shifting in my seat nervously. Once the turbulence calmed down, I was able to adjust myself in my small seat and return to some comfort.

After about an hour of steady flying, I hear a loud pop. Soon, a dark smoke started to engulf my window, and I was on the verge of tears. I felt as my heart rate quickened as a sense of panic came over me.  I began to get hot again and my warm, clammy palms returned.

The pilot’s voice went over the intercom: “I would like to inform all of you that the left engine just sparked out, but we have it all under control. The backup engine will start any second.” After being reassured, I tried to settle down, but I still had a gut wrenching feeling.

Cutting through my failed attempts at staying calm, came roaring the pilot once more: “Excuse me. This is your captain speaking. Everybody put your heads down, cover your head with your arms and brace for impact! The oxygen masks will drop any second. We have lost both engines – I repeat, both engines!” The frantic voice of the pilot caused my mind to race in fear! I didn’t know whether to cry or stay silently frozen. Ultimately, I cried along with everybody else in the plane, screams coming from every which way. My heart throbbed for my parents and friends. I felt the nose of the plane begin to descend downwards. My stomach dropped along with the plane, and the pilot cried repeatedly over the intercom, “I’m sorry!”

Soon thereafter I felt us crash. The windows were shattered, luggage was strewn all over, chairs jolted backwards, and the sound of people crying filled the plane. Everybody was sitting shocked in their seats. Passengers cut from glass shards. The flight attendants told us that we had crashed in Taiwan. We didn’t know when or if we would be found. The entire plane fell silent until I began to weep once more. This causes everybody else to return to their own heart wrenching wails as well, for we were scared that we might never be found.

One by one we were led out of the plane by the attendants who were trying to keep a happy, optimistic attitude in spite of our situation while the passengers  sobbed. Getting off of that plane was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. My body felt weak because of how hard I was crying. My legs felt like jello, and my eyes held heavy bags. Luckily, nobody was injured except for a few cuts.

Then we began to place the survival tents. The pilot grabbed the survival supplies from the tail end of the plane as others gathered sticks for a fire. I was trudging through the grass with my head hanging low, and my shoulders dropped. I felt as though my whole entire life was now doomed. While I was searching for sticks, my mind was filling with terrible ideas of what would happen if we were not found. My aunt would probably be wondering where I was since I didn’t make it to the Sydney Airport. After I walked about only a quarter of a mile. I decided that it was time to head back to where we set up camp. I felt as though I needed to help all of the other passengers. I was surprised to see a fire blazing where the other survivors were gathered around smiling and laughing. I was welcomed by open arms and caring hearts.

Then all of a sudden, we heard the beating of helicopter propellers. We all looked up with longing eyes to see twenty five red cross helicopters. I was overcome with joy, and a smile spread across my face. They let down rope ladders for each of us to climb up. When I sat down in the helicopter, I realized that I was safe. I was excited to be able to see my friends and family, and even my teachers again. I left Taiwan smiling ear to ear, and I realized that I should always appreciate my friends and family throughout life.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Plane Crash”

1. Thomas on November 2nd, 2018 8:32 am

Good job on this narritive. you put me think i was there! Good Job!

2. Scarlett on November 2nd, 2018 8:36 am

This story is amazing! When I was reading I kept on wanting to know more. I really enjoyed this and I hope you write another one like this soon (not another plane crash, the good story). Great job!

3. erin on November 2nd, 2018 8:41 am

I like how you described how you felt and what was going on.You made it interesting and inter taming to read this story.

4. clare on November 2nd, 2018 8:41 am

i was shaking as i read this story. I thought it was wonderfully put, it also tought a very good lesson well done.

5. Nora on November 2nd, 2018 8:49 am

Did that actually happen to you?

6. Nora on November 2nd, 2018 8:50 am

wow, I would have been so scared.C
    ool story

7. elinor on November 2nd, 2018 8:57 am

I think this is true but still it does not seem true that is so scary were you already scared of airports because I am and to go by yourself wow I would have been scared and were you scared when you had to climb up the ladder to go up to the helicopter Over all this was a great and exiting story.

8. Ava on November 2nd, 2018 2:28 pm

Nice article! It was really interesting and fun to read.

9. Audrey on November 2nd, 2018 2:30 pm

Woah! Great job on your article Evelyn!

10. Katherine on November 9th, 2018 10:38 am

Overall, great story! There was lots of emotion and detail! Very interesting!

11. Kacey on November 9th, 2018 10:44 am

Wow, I wouldn’t want to be on that plane.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Plane Crash

Creative Response

Zoo Worker

• Plane Crash

Cartoons

Is That Really Your Wish?

• Plane Crash

Cartoons

Table Flipping

• Plane Crash

Cartoons

Revenge

• Plane Crash

Narratives

The Man in the Rock

• Plane Crash

Cartoons

Lowering Expectations

• Plane Crash

Creative Response

Lost in Mexico

• Plane Crash

Creative Response

Start of Spring

• Plane Crash

Cartoons

Stupid-Enator

• Plane Crash

Creative Response

Sledding into Christmas

The student news site of St. Robert School
Plane Crash