Radical Recess Games

Liam S, Columnist

In the St. Robert parking lot, there are new spray-painted lines, forming circles and grids, a creation being used at recess each day by the students. These lines are actually the outlines to new games for recess. Ultimate football and nine square have both been additions to recess this year that many students have had the opportunity to try out and explore.

One popular game is called ultimate football. This game is a lot like ultimate frisbee, but people compare it to tag football because tag football is the game that has been replaced by ultimate football. Tag football afforded students the chance to play football without tackling each other, but still involved physical contact as people sought to “tag” each other instead of tackle. Times have changed and no longer are kids allowed to play tag football. Marley M, who plays ultimate football, says, “I think [ultimate football] is a bit weird.” Marley, like some of his peers, have had difficulty adjusting to new games.. Marley thinks, “The game will be better if it is more physical and skillful.” He also says, “I am much better at tag football,” which is probably another reason he doesn’t prefer  it. Nonetheless, ultimate football allows a safer way for kids to enjoy the popular sport, and providing clear rules decreases potential arguments as well.

Nine square is a pretty popular game at recess time. Nine square is a lot like four square, but it has some different rules. Nine people are in the square and the player must hit the ball under hand and it must be with 1 hand. Maribel, a student from 7th grade plays nine square and believes, “it’s really fun” but goes on to say, “it’s a great opportunity to make new friends.” People may argue about which games – new or the old – are more fun,  but they do allow kids great opportunities. Nine square overall helps people to do something at recess as more can be involved, so kids are less likely to be left out or alone.

The games have been added to create some new entertainment and energy at recess. Sadly overall, the games haven’t had a lot of positive opinions. Most have been negative opinions because the games at recess have been the same for so long. I guess people will have to figure out what to do during recess and or what to do about the games that they have to play.