New Playground at Atwater School

Thomas S, Columnist

A shiny new playground comes with many things. Sturdy new monkey bars, slippery new slides, and slick new swings are just some of the additions that have graced the Shorewood public schools in recent days. While many see the benefits of Atwater Elementary updating their playground equipment, some students at St. Robert’s neighboring school, Atwater Elementary, have mixed feelings.

“The new playground gives new opportunities on the playground for students,” says one student. The new colors and equipment are great for all the students. Plus, the school actually has two newer playsets: one designed for older students and the other focused on younger kids. The playground equipment may bring better opportunities to gain more friends and be more involved in the school community through play. However, one other student thinks differently.

“I think the new playground was a waste of money. The old playground was fine as it was,” says the dissenting student. The previous playground was yellow and included items like a tire swing, slide, monkey bars, a wooden house, and more. The new playground deducts some of those features, which were favored by many students.

The new playground was quite expensive. In a public school, the government pays for things and services, so funding is often tied to taxpayer dollars or State education funds. The government could spend “up to 100,000 dollars” an administrator at Atwater, on other, more important things, instead of using a chunk of that budget for playground equipment. For example, some argue that greater needs to have better for that money would be paved roads, new government buildings, and more.

While the new playground might be costly, the space brings new opportunities for students to make friends, get into the school community, and just have fun. Plus, even St. Robert School kids can be spotted enjoying the playground on the weekends.