Happy Notes: A New Tradition

In the Haber-Home Room of seventh grade we have a different way of celebrating birthdays. While most classes sing the same old song and eat a treat our class adds a new part to the system. Happy Notes are an idea sparked by appreciating the equality of everyone and wanting them to be recognized. Mr. and Mrs. Haberman have loved this idea and use it on everyone’s birthday. What is the idea? At the beginning of the year our class decorated birthday bags being told that they would be used later in the year and we now know that they will be used on everyones birthday to hold these special Happy Notes. The concept is that everyone gets a colorful piece of paper and they can write anything and maybe even draw something for the person who is celebrating. The note can be personal or maybe even just a riddle, when everyone is finished the notes go into a randomly selected bag from earlier in the year. The birthday girl or boy will then soon realize a little surprise in the bag as well.

“Everyone loves dollar store junk!” Mrs. Haberman said in a cheerful voice. She explained that even though the little trinkets may not cost much they still show that the teachers are thinking of the birthday student.

The Habermans will also write their own happy note to the receiver. Mrs. Haberman says that she always wants to put enough thought into it and appreciate everyone. When a student’s birthday is during the school day they might think that no one really cares, but when they receive personalized notes from their classmates it is a true birthday present. Some of my fellow classmates have told me that when they write their Happy Notes they make it especially for the recipient.

“My Happy Notes are Birthday Blessings,” Mrs. Haberman says. She likes them that way and so do the students. The students enjoy having a little treat, even though with our new rules it is not an actual sweet treat, on their birthday especially from their teacher.

I personally enjoy drawing a picture and writing a small note, but I have seen more. Some kids write riddles, jokes, notes, pictures and I’ve even seen song lyrics. This just shows the difference that the Habermans are making and students are having fun with it too. Not only the students, but Mrs. and Mr. Haberman have a little fun as well. When the teachers connect with the students it makes birthdays that much more interesting. The Habermans are changing normal school day birthdays into something more.