Why Newspapers Are Important

I’m sure many of you see your moms and dads reading pages and pages of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel or The Wall Street Journal, and wonder what they’re even reading about. Newspapers are one of the main ways news spreads around the world. Newspapers are really essential to the adult population and some of the teens and younger part of the population. They are important because they can warn, celebrate, praise, mourn, announce, or entertain the readers, all very important actions needed by almost everyone. Some news may only interest or affect a percentage of the readers, but in the end, 100% of the readers find something they were looking for, even if they didn’t know it.

Newspapers also usually focus on a small area. For example, the Shorewood population will read the Shorewood Patch, the Milwaukee population will read the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and Wisconsin and many other states will read The Wall Street Journal. By having newspapers on one main area, the stories will go deeper into the topic they are related to, and they may have more stories in or close to that area. For instance, if Shorewood High School won the national basketball championship, The Wall Street Journal may have a short summary and boxscore about the games, while the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel may have a couple paragraphs about the game, and the Shorewood Patch would have the game as the feature story with multiple paragraphs describing every detail of the game.

The purpose of the White and Blue Press is to inform, celebrate, praise, entertain, and announce different things to its readers – you, the students of St. Robert School!  None of the stories are written by adults, but only by fellow students, pumping out stories to the online newspaper every six weeks.  Each section is meant to connect to readers in a different way, whether it was the service trip you went on, the story you submitted, or the play you were in. Our Off-Campus section goes beyond the boundaries of school to inform readers about happenings outside of St. Robert, while our Daily Life section brings you the news of going-ons in classrooms. Each section was crafted by talent of St. Robert students, who take their own time to meet after school once week and even more time writing and editing stories. Most stories are submitted by students who are not on the newspaper staff and you can submit stories by contacting the editors or emailing [email protected]. You can learn more about the individuals who make up the newspaper staff by looking at their bios. The newspaper staff has worked hard to bring you the many articles to this first edition of the White and Blue Press. We hope you enjoy the White and Blue Press and hope to have a great school year with you.