Low Sugar School

A Principal’s Explanation

Everyone has an opinion and the majority of students think the same way. How do you feel about this new Low-Sugar rule? It’s ok if you don’t like it; the principal was expecting you to not like it. “It’s a major shift,” the principal says. Don’t worry! Sugar is not gone forever. There are still small amounts allowed and Mrs. Beckmann is looking to see how this new rule will turn out. She says that she even she misses birthday treats and chocolate milk.

The SAB or School Advisory Board along with other people and Mrs. Beckmann came up with this rule and showed how it affects our normal school day. “It’s open to change if it’s negative. If we’ve lost something beautiful, I would put my say in it,” stated Mrs. Beckmann.

What do the kids think? You probably think you already know but I interviewed 7th grade co-chair of our Student Leadership Council, Ryan Mitchell about what his opinion is on the new rule. “I agree but disagree.” To Ryan, birthday treats are a fun way to celebrate a special occasion and you only get them every so often. Remembering back to what Mrs. Beckmann said, something beautiful could be lost, and Ryan along with the student body have realized that.

We’re wondering what will happen to celebrations with treats. They come so rarely and they’re what kids look forward to. What will happen to Pi day when we celebrate the long math number of 3.14 on March 14th with delicious pie? Or cake during lunch on anniversaries? Or candy on Valentine’s Day and other holidays? These questions can seem saddening and disappointing to some students and teachers. The future will come with either “good” news or “bad” news depending on your view of things.

Just don’t take it out on the principal! She was only a little part of the making of the rule. It was actually the School Advisory Board who is responsible for policies. She supports this change, knowing that we all might be a little healthier. With parents, the board and herself finding how sugar affects learning, they all agreed there was too much of it in our school.

This new rule has definitely changed our ideas about St. Robert, but just see what the outcome will be. It could be positive or negative in your mind, but to others it could be different. Just think: we will still have bake sales and treats to bring home, We will just be a healthier school, and quoting Mrs. Beckmann, “Nothing is ever finished.”