Teacher Feature: Mrs. Jill Haberman

In an interview on October 22 with Mrs. Haberman, St. Robert Middle School religion and English teacher, her humor, love, and excitement about her job shined. She had much to share about her past life, most of which many students may not have known. Along with new topics, Mrs. Haberman gave the inside scoop about her job. Much was discovered about this teacher who is loved by many students.

When asked why she wanted to become a teacher Mrs. Haberman gave an interesting answer, “After college I decided being a flight attendant wasn’t a good idea and I always loved the wackiness of children.” A flight attendant and teacher are two entirely different jobs but both are interesting, fun, and fit Mrs. Haberman’s people personality so well. Her great personality shows in the classroom and is a good thing to have as a teacher at St. Robert. St. Robert is very lucky to have Mrs. Haberman as a teacher.

Mrs. Haberman chose to teach at St. Robert because, “The opportunity to teach with my husband again was exciting, we work well together, always have taught in Catholic schools, and love being in a faith-centered environment.” Mrs. Haberman is a great teacher and works with her husband, Mr. Haberman.  They make a great team and are amazing teachers.

Besides working with her husband, the things that excite Mrs. Haberman about her job are related to the students she teaches. What the students do in her classes is her favorite part about her job. She said, “I love watching kids develop their writing voice and make connections between their faith and life.” Mrs. Haberman’s favorite part about teaching is “when kids either have sparkling insights or make me laugh.”

Mrs. Haberman was inspired to become a teacher by Miss Esther Jane Hoffman, her 7th grade English teacher. She nurtured her as a writer and gave her the role of Titania; Queen of the Fairies, in the class play of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night Dream.

Outside of school Mrs. Haberman said, “I read, I run, I cook, and snuggle my aging pug dog Harry.” In her free time Mrs. Haberman volunteers for Dismas Prison Ministry supporting incarcerated women’s writing projects.

Mrs. Haberman has a busy life filled with helping others and doing what she loves.