7th Grade Class Representatives

Being in our St. Robert Student Leadership Council takes a lot of time, effort and good ideas. The Student Leadership Council helps make the school a better and more inviting place for students and for teachers.

I was able to interview Kelley Schlise, Olivia Kessenich, and Anja Luzney, three of our four seventh grade class representatives, about how they decided to join the Student Council, why they wanted to join, and how it has changed from the past.

“I decided I wanted to be in the student leadership council because I want to make a difference in our school,” Anja stated, “I love listening to others and hearing what they have to say so I can help make a change for them and those around them for the better.”

“I felt like it would be a fun experience,” Olivia told me, “And also a good way to help out the community, as well as our school community.”

“I was a class representative last year,” Kelley stated. “Not too much has changed, except the co- chairs instead of president, secretary, …  I think this change was a good idea because last year, sometimes the four officers didn’t really do their specific jobs, so their jobs were kind of pointless.”

In Student Council, the representatives and co-chairs think of ways to raise money, to donate to different charities. All of the people in the Student Leadership Council contribute their ideas.  They all decide which idea would encourage the students the most to bring in food, clothes and/or money.

Their most recent donation was to St. Martin De Porres. Kelley told me, “We figure out which charities would benefit from our money most, and then we usually vote.” Their last idea was for the students to bring in cereal boxes for the hungry. To encourage the students to bring more cereal, they had an idea for a big game of dominos! They took all of the cereal boxes and lined them up in the gym, and we watched them knock the cereal boxes down! It was very fun!

But, there are some challenges in being in student council. “Sometimes raising enough money is hard, and sometimes our ideas don’t work as well as we thought they would.” Kelley said.

“I would really like to work with the community more,”  Anja thought, “I feel as if we’re really tied up in mostly charity instead of those around us”

Since all of them have such good ideas, I bet we will raise a lot more money then we have in the past.

The Student Leadership Council contributes a lot to the school, and without them, the school would not be as it is today.